Sunday 20 March 2011

Pan-fried Buns with Minced Beef

They are also known as "sui jiao" in Chinese. It is my first trial and I am so happy that it turns out yummy. My hubby said even tastes better than the one sold in Chinatown. Haha. The moment I have my first bite, the hot liquid oozes out and I know that I have succeeded. Thumbs up to this recipe and to me too ^^!

The original recipe can produces 10 "sui jiao" but I think I can made more as I still have the leftover filling in my fridge (update: I made 17).



 My sui jiao
(Can you notice which one is half-eaten by me?)

Sorry for the blurry image as I don't have enough natural lighting here


=Ingredients= makes 10

~Buns~
180g plain flour
6 tbs hot water 80°C
3 tbs cold water

~Filling~
200g minced beef
40g preserved cabbage - I subs it with lettuce
45g minced onion
1 tsp freshly grated ginger

~Seasoning~
1 tbs light soya sauce
1 tsp cornflour
1/2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp chicken powder
1/2 tsp Shao Xing wine
a dash sesame oil
pepper, to taste


Mixing filling
  1. Mix minced beef with the seasoning and stir with chopsticks towards one direction only (either you stir it clockwise or anticlockwise), or until the beef sticks together very well with a "springy" feel - I use my clean hand to mix it. Chill in fridge for 20 minutes.

Making and frying buns
  1. Sift flour into a big bowl. Add 6 tbs of 80°C hot water into the flour. Use a spatula to mix well and create some little flour crumbs.
  2. Add 1 tbs of cold water at a time into the flour. Use hand to knead the dough until the surface is not sticky. Brush a bit of oil on the bottom of a bowl, place dough inside and cover it with a damp towel. Let sit for 30 minutes.
  3. Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead a few times until smooth. Roll and stretch the dough out into a long strip, about 1.5 inches in thickness - I just 'agak-agak'. Divide into 10 equal parts. Roll each part into a small ball. Lightly flatten with your palm and roll out into a thin, even round using a rolling pin. Wrap a heaped tsp of filling in the center. Seal the edge with the seal facing down.
  4. Heat a non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Add 2 tbs of oil. Place wrapped buns in  a single layer without touching each other. Fry them until both sides are light brown. Add 1/2 cup of boiling water, cover with a lid and cook until the water dries up. Done!
  5. As for the dipping sauce, add light soya sauce, few drops of vinegar and chilli sauce together. My bestie once told me that her mummy said the dipping sauce plays a crucial part in determining whether the food is delicious or not. I do agree sometimes.