Sunday 19 December 2010

Bakeware - the old faithful metal or the newbie silicone?


I google this cos I just bought a 6-muffin silicone tray and 10-mini muffin cups for my baking craze. Still thinking of buying a silicone cake tin but after searching and reading the reviews online, I make up my mind and went out to buy a metal cake tin with a removable bottom.

The answer to my question above is it depends on what you are trying to bake.


If you are baking cupcakes or muffins, you can choose either one.
If you use silicone muffin cups, you don't have to buy new paper muffin cups anymore cos you just need to clean and reuse the silicone muffin cups.  *environment friendly*




If you are baking anything bigger than muffins like bread, layer cake, chiffon cake, cheese cake and etc, better play safe with a metal cake tin.      *I perceive that cake baked using metal tin will taste better anyway*



Since silicone bakeware is still new to me (maybe also new to some of you out there), I decided to list out its pros and cons as a quick reference.


The pros:
  1. It requires shorter time to bake.
  2. It is flexible, bendable.
  3. It is easy to clean.
  4. It does not stain, dent or rust.
  5. It lasts for lifetime.
  6. It is freezer, refrigerator, microwave, dishwasher and oven safe.
  7. It comes in various shapes and colours.
  8. The baking process stops immediately when it is removed from the oven.
  9. No need greasing or flouring before baking.
  10. It cools down quickly after coming out from oven.

The cons:
  1. The baked product reported to have faint rubbery taste (happened to cheap and low quality silicone).
  2. Have to use an extra tray or cookie sheet for stability to place it inside the oven.
  3. The silicone bakeware smells like burning plastic.
*For me, I choose to invest in a good brand of silicone bakeware for 
  muffins and go for metal cake tin for cakes*


More info about silicone bakeware
here, here2, here3, here4, here5, here6, here7