Thursday 23 December 2010

Tang Yuan

I proudly made my own 'tang yuan' today. Hehe. I know yesterday is Winter Solstice Festival but I don't dare to go out and walk in the snow by myself to buy the main ingredient; glutinous rice flour. So my hubby accompanied me today and we bought a lot of food stock from Chung Ying (the one and only Chinese shop in Glasgow).


My first homemade 'tang yuan'


Recipe (from Rasa Malaysia)

110g glutinous rice flour
100ml water
85g canned red bean paste
water, for boiling 'tang yuan'

For ginger syrup:
3 cups water
2-inch piece of fresh ginger, lightly sliced or pounded
Rock sugar to taste



Method
  1. Mix glutinous rice flour with water in a bowl until it becomes a smooth paste (no longer sticks to your hand).-- I pour extra glutinous rice flour on a plate and add it as I roll it to achieve the smooth paste.
  2. Divide the dough and red bean paste into 10 balls each (roll into ball shape).
  3. To wrap 'tang yuan', flatten a sticky rice ball and place a red bean ball in the center. Fold the edges to seal it tightly. Gently roll it again using your palms. Make sure no leakage.
  4. Prepare the ginger syrup by boiling water. Add ginger and boil for 10-15 minutes. Add rock sugar and boil for 5 minutes.
  5. Heat up another pot of water and bring it to boil. Drop the 'tang yuan' into the boiling pot. As soon as they float to the top, scoop them out and transfer them into the prepared ginger syrup.
  6. Serve immediately.

*since I still have plenty of red bean, I will try to make mochi soon*