Wednesday 26 January 2011

Chinese dried meat -Bak kwa

Couldn't find 'bak kwa' anywhere in Glasgow so I try making one. So happy that my bak kwa making is a success even though it's my first trial.

I learn the steps from various recipes online - Lily's recipe, Tazz's recipe but the main recipe is from Pig Pig's Corner.

My first homemade bak kwa. Hubby said yummy and he likes it.


Ingredients

500g minced pork - I try using minced beef
1 1/2 tbs fish sauce
1 tbs thick dark soya sauce
1 tbs light soya sauce
1 tbs kicap manis (sweet soya sauce)
1 tbs Shao Xing Wine
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp 5-spice powder
1 tsp oil


Method
  1. Place all the ingredients in a mixing bowl. Use a spoon to mix them all together until a gluey paste is formed (I use my clean hand to mix it- even faster)
  2. Cover and marinate overnight in the fridge.

The next day,
  1. Preheat the oven to 125°C.
  2. Oil an upside-down baking tray. -refer to Lily's recipe for step by step instructions
  3. Use a chinese rice bowl to measure a bowl of marinated minced pork.
  4. Place minced pork in the middle of the tray and top with a little oil to facilitate movement.
  5. Use your fingers and palm to spread the meat to the edges of the tray.
  6. Bake for about 20 minutes (125°C)
  7. Then increase the temperature to 175°C and bake for about 20-30 minutes (or until the sides are charred) -I bake for 18 minutes. Keep a close watch as it burns easily now.
  8. Cool and cut into pieces. - I use a pair of clean scissors to cut. You can use pizza cutter too.
*Can be kept for 3 days in a plastic container for consumption* 
If you want to make the one that can be kept in freezer and bbq, refer to Lily's recipe.

You should try making one if you are staying abroad for CNY and can't get 'bak kwa'. It's fun but involves a lot of washing and cleaning *v*