Wednesday 26 January 2011

Pineapple tarts

Pineapple tart is a must for CNY. "Ong lai" = money comes. Haha. I really envy myself *pat pat* for my determination to bake my own CNY goodies. What to do...can't buy it anywhere here so have to learn. It's a good thing to learn new skills. I think I can graduate from my kitchen with honours already. Haha


My pineapple tarts


Got my recipe from Little Corner of Mine

=Ingredients=

Pastry:
265g butter
2/3 cup icing sugar
2 egg yolks
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp salt

3 cups plain flour, 3/8 cup cornflour- sift together

1 beaten egg for glazing, beat with a little of water -as egg wash


Filling:
2 can crushed pineapple in own juice 20 oz, drained
1 cup sugar
1 or 2 cinnamon sticks - I use 1 tsp cinnamon powder
2 star anise
6 cloves


Method:

Start making pineapple filling the night before,
  1. In a saucepan with medium heat, pour in the drained crushed pineapple and add in the rest of the ingredients.
  2. Stir occasionally until the jam like consistency is achieved - dry and sticky. This process takes about 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
  3. Discard the spices and store the jam in the fridge until ready to use. It will thicken more in the fridge.

Next day, start making pastry,
  1. Cream butter and icing sugar until light. Beat in egg yolks one at a time. Add vanilla extract and salt and beat until fluffy. Fold in the sifted flours and mix into a dough. Refrigerate the dough for at least 30 minutes before use. (Handle the dough with care as it's very soft. Roll immediately after taken out from refrigerator)
  2. Preheat oven to 175°C.
  3. Roll the dough out about 1/2 cm thick and cut with a cookie cutter. Place the jam in the middle. Brush the top with the egg wash.
  4. Bake for 10-15 minutes (golden brown on edges) - I bake for 12 minutes
  5. Cool on a wire rack.


My first trial with different types of pineapple tarts. 
Decided to make 'open' tarts cos they are easier and faster.


I use mini measuring spoon to form a 'slope' for the pineapple jam.




Pineapple tarts with the egg wash (the glossy effect)- ready to go into the oven.


I like this recipe a lot cos the pineapple jam is not too sweet. They smell and taste nice. The end product of pineapple tarts are wonderful - 'melt in your mouth' texture.