Thursday 10 February 2011

Blueberry muffins

My local supermarket, Aldi is currently selling 125g blueberries for 69p. Grab this promotion period to bake some blueberry muffins.


My baby muffins and one big one. 
Some are missing here cos I gave some bigger ones to my flatmate.



Recipe adapted from Christine

=Ingredients=
1 1/2 cup plain flour
100g blueberries - I used 125g
4 tbs caster sugar - I reduced to 3 1/2 tbs and the muffins are not sweet at all. Hmm, I'll follow the measurement exactly next time
3 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp salt
1 egg
75g melted butter
3/4 cup + 2 tsp milk


Method
  1. Preheat oven to 200C. Using a whisk, lightly beat the egg. Set aside.
  2. Melt the butter by using double boiler method. Let it cools for a while.
  3. Pour the cold melted butter into the beaten egg. Add milk and mix well.
  4. In another bowl, sift the plain flour, baking powder and salt together (The original recipe doesn't have this step and I totally forgot about the baking powder which resulted in failed muffins).
  5. Use another bowl to mix salt, sugar and sifted flour together.
  6. Gradually pour the egg mixture into the middle of the flour mixture. Use a spatula to mix everything well until just blended. Don't over stir it. Add blueberries and fold through. 
  7. Transfer the mixture to a nonstick muffin tray or muffin cups (70-80% full).
  8. Put a tray (filled up with water) underneath the muffin tray (as water bath) - refer to Christine's blog for picture details. Bake the mixture for 18-24 minutes (I bake for 18 minutes for the big ones, 10 minutes for the mini muffins). Remember to check the muffin with a stick whether it is fully baked already or not.


I just love the baby muffins ^v^